Are you second-guessing your decision to hire PHP developers because someone told you PHP is dead? We promise you PHP is far from dead. In fact, recent surveys show that PHP is the most used server-side programming language among web developers. It is so popular that 79.2% of all websites use PHP to some degree.
But what exactly is a PHP developer, and why and when do you need one? Besides providing answers to these questions, this guide will also reveal how to find PHP developers for your software development project. Let’s get started!
What’s in this guide:
- Why hire a PHP developer
- How to hire PHP developers: Your 4 best options
- 8 top sites for hiring PHP developers
Why hire a PHP developer
PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor) is a general-purpose, open-source programming language for developing dynamic and interactive websites. The scripting language’s popularity skyrocketed after its launch in 1995 because of its suitability for building fast and efficient web applications.
Another reason for PHP’s popularity is it works for building websites for the most widely-used content management systems (CMSs) – WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. In fact, WordPress has the largest market share among CMSs, powering 43.2% of all websites, and all WordPress websites are PHP-written.
Who should hire a PHP developer?
Are you a startup or another business type looking to build a web application or website that users can easily access via a desktop or mobile browser? If so, you should work with a PHP developer. Skilled and competent PHP developers understand PHP syntax, functionality, and best practices. They use that knowledge to develop robust and scalable web applications.
Other benefits of hiring a PHP developer for your project are:
- Cost-effective: PHP is a free, open-source scripting language. Since developers don’t have to pay to use, distribute, and modify PHP projects, building your website will cost less. The cost-effectiveness makes hiring a PHP developer ideal for small businesses and startups that want a new website or web app.
- Versatile: PHP developers can build various web applications, including dynamic ecommerce, social networking, and news websites. Developers can even use the language to build content management systems like Magento. Also, PHP websites have various built-in functions and libraries for tasks such as database connectivity and HTTP requests.
- Responsive website: Websites and web apps built by PHP developers can run on Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, and macOS operating systems. Users only need to access the website via their device’s browser. However, while PHP is great for building websites and web apps, it’s not the best for mobile apps.
- Scalable: Websites built with PHP can handle high traffic, making them ideal for businesses that need an easily scalable site or web app.
Depending on your needs and other factors, you can hire PHP developers to build your web software with PHP frameworks like Laravel, Symfony, CodeIgniter, or CakePHP.
How to hire PHP developers: Your 4 best options
Over 6 million PHP developers are available globally for you to choose from for web development projects. Hire PHP programmers that fit your needs, preferences, and project by looking out for the following:
- Relevant Experience: Experienced PHP developers have a better understanding of the programming language and how to leverage it. If you want PHP experts that perfectly fit your project, choose a team with experience working on projects like yours. The relevant experience will equip the team to manage your project efficiently and troubleshoot issues.
- Communication skills: The best PHP developers know more than just the PHP programming language. They also have excellent communication skills that enable them to brainstorm with you, understand your project requirements, and keep you updated. Working with developers that can’t communicate effectively can lead to misunderstandings, delays, and other problems.
- Pricing: PHP experts with more years of experience tend to charge more for their services, while less experienced programmers charge less to compete. Get the best deal by hiring PHP programmers with the skills to deliver your project without exceeding your budget.
- Attention to detail: The top PHP developers are meticulous and detail-oriented. Coders who lack this skill tend to write faulty code that causes security and performance issues.
Now that you know the features to prioritize when searching for the best PHP programmers, let’s look at your hiring options. Choose the option that fits your budget, project size, and other requirements.
1. Full-time in-house team
Hiring a full-time in-house PHP development team means you have PHP programmers working exclusively for you. The programmers are your employees, and you have to pay them as such. So, if you have no ongoing PHP projects, you must still pay your in-house team. On the upside, having an in-house team means having 100% access to PHP developers to do whatever you want.
- Convenient access to your own PHP development team
- Freedom to groom the team to do things your way
Who this method fits
We recommend having an in-house team of dedicated PHP developers if you are a large company that can afford it. Also, you should only have such a team if you frequently need the services of PHP developers. Otherwise, your company may not need one for months, but you still have to pay the developers for the times they do nothing.
2. Unvetted freelance PHP developers
Hiring unvetted freelance PHP developers might be the way to go if you are a startup or on a tight budget. Why? Unvetted freelancers charge less than vetted developers so they can compete.
Such developers are also more open to doing whatever you want because they are desperate for your business. For example, many unvetted freelancers are open to working with very short deadlines and other inconvenient constraints.
However, hiring freelance developers comes with some risks. For example, you cannot confirm an unvetted freelancer’s expertise and competence until you hire them. Picking the wrong freelancer can lead to project delays and wasted budget.
Nonetheless, it is possible to find a competent freelancer that saves you money and delivers to your satisfaction. Some of the best platforms for finding such freelancers include Upwork and Fiverr.
- The most affordable option
- More flexibility regarding working hours and project requirements
Who this method fits
Hiring unvetted freelance PHP programmers may be for you if you are on a tight budget and want a programmer willing to do things your way.
3. Vetted PHP developers from a talent agency
Vetted PHP developers are experts with qualifications you can verify. Hiring such developers is a safer bet than hiring an unvetted freelancer. However, vetted PHP developers cost more.
Also, choosing a vetted or unvetted freelancer means you've hired a PHP developer and nothing more. Their job is to write code and deliver. Such an individual isn’t obligated to provide professional guidance or save you from bad project choices.
You can hire PHP developers with vetted qualifications on platforms like Toptal and Codementor. These platforms have a rating system that allows you to filter and view potential hires who match your unique requirements.
- Cheaper than hiring an in-house team
- A safer option for hiring a qualified PHP programmer
Who this method fits
Hiring a vetted PHP developer from a talent agency is for companies that want a safe way to get reasonably priced yet reliable services.
4. Fully managed PHP development team
Do you want to build high-quality PHP websites or web applications with minimal hassle? If so, your best choice is to hire a PHP web development company – specifically a fully managed development company. A fully managed PHP development team will handle all aspects of your development process, including everything from ideation and concept development to product launch.
Choosing such development services allows you to be as hands-off or hands-on as you prefer. However, hiring a fully managed web development team is the most costly option. On the upside, since the team has all the experts you need, you can avoid the hassle of screening and hiring multiple pros for your project.
The number one benefit of hiring a fully managed team is the freedom to focus on more crucial aspects of running your business while the team takes care of development. Other benefits include:
- Expertise and quality assurance
Who this method fits
A startup, individual, or small to large business can hire a fully managed team to manage their PHP web development. The option is perfect as long as you want experts to handle your entire web development process.
8 top sites for hiring PHP developers
As we’ve shown, there’s a lot to gain if you hire PHP developers, but the exact benefits you’ll experience will vary between developers. To help simplify your search for suitable developers for your project, we’ve compiled the top agencies and sites for hiring PHP developers. Below are the websites that made our list.
DevSquad is among Utah's top web and software development agencies, offering services to SaaS companies across the U.S. As a fully managed team, we are the one-stop shop for all your software development needs. Let us help you take your product development from ideation and prototyping to launch and optimization.
We work with SaaS businesses of all sizes and guarantee that we can make your product development journey as hassle-free as possible. Click here to learn more about how DevSquad can simplify building PHP web apps tailored to satisfy your target market.
As a full-service agency, we offer more than just PHP programming. We provide everything you need to build and launch fully operational PHP software, such as:
- Front-end development with Vue.JS
- Back-end development with Laravel
- Product strategy and design
- QA management
- Product testing and iteration
- UX design
- Fully managed team structure
- Strategic guidance to help you succeed and save money
- Scalable team to match your needs
- Top-notch communication
- User-focused product development process
- Less work on your part
Fully managed teams cost more than other hiring options. Also, a fully managed team is unnecessary if you only need a PHP developer
Fiverr is an online marketplace where you can hire PHP developers and other specialists you need for your PHP web development project. However, the platform does not have a vetting process that verifies if programmers are as good as they claim. On the upside, Fiverr has a rating system that clients use to rate the competence and professionalism of programmers they’ve tried.
Users can also provide reviews regarding their experience using a programmer. Reduce the risk of hiring an unsuitable PHP programmer by opting for a freelancer with at least a 4-star rating and mostly positive reviews. That said, while Fiverr freelancers are generally affordable, highly-rated programmers with years of experience on the platform typically charge more.
You can use Fiverr to find PHP developers and other freelancers you need for your project. Developers worldwide use the platform, allowing you to easily find one that can speak your language and work with your time zone.
- Several freelance PHP developers to choose from
- 24/7 user support
- Easy-to-understand rating system
- Secure payment options
- Unvetted freelancers cause uncertainty when hiring
- Tedious vetting and hiring process
- Project delays if you hire the wrong freelancer
Saritasa is a boutique software development firm offering PHP web development services and other solutions. Even though it’s in California, Saritasa serves clients all over the U.S. Many of its clients include medical, education, retail, financial, real estate, and logistics companies.
The agency’s 10+ years of experience equips it to understand clients’ needs and deliver high-quality services. Another top selling point of the agency is its attention to detail, which ensures the delivery of fully operational finished products. On the downside, since Saritasa is a boutique agency, there’s a limit to how many clients they can serve at once.
- Back-end PHP development for web and mobile apps
- Project management
- Code review and takeovers
- Custom PHP development
- An experienced and well-equipped team
- Professional and impressive track record
- Excellent communication
- Secure production environment
- A long waiting list may occur
- Paying for unneeded services if you only want a PHP developer
Toptal is another platform for hiring freelancers, but unlike Fiverr, Toptal has a vetting process. Since you can only hire PHP developers that passed the vetting process, you are less likely to hire an unskilled programmer. In fact, Toptal claims to only accept the top 3% of freelancers who apply to use its platform.
Easily find PHP developers that match your needs with Toptal’s matching system. Also, you can verify a freelancer’s suitability for your project by test-running them for a couple of weeks for free. You can switch to another freelancer if you do not enjoy the free trial.
Toptal helps individuals and businesses find the most qualified freelancers for their projects. You can also use the platform to find more specialists to handle other aspects of your product development project.
- Free, no-risk trial
- Only vetted freelancers
- High user satisfaction
- Finding and onboarding suitable freelancers takes up to three weeks
- A compulsory $500 down payment to use the platform
- Toptal freelancers charge more than others
Fiverr and Toptal aren’t your only options if you want to hire freelancers for PHP development. With Upwork, signing up and finding PHP developers is simple. You don’t need to pay to register, and once you have an account, you can browse available professionals to find one or more for your project.
Alternatively, post a job, let freelancers apply, interview them, and pick your favorites for the job. Depending on your Upwork plan, you can access vetted and unvetted freelancers or only vetted ones.
- No cost to join
- Access to vetted or unvetted freelancers
- High user satisfaction
- Options for different budgets
- Heavy reliance on the platform for communication, payment processing, and dispute resolution
- Excessive fees
Codementor is where pro developers congregate to connect and offer their services. On the platform, you can find PHP developers who’ve authored books, contributed to open-source projects, and worked at top tech companies.
Depending on your needs, you can find a PHP expert to mentor you or one to develop your PHP web product. Hire PHP developers on Codementor by sharing details of your project and connecting with developers who fit your requirements. The platform won’t release payment to your freelancer until you confirm project completion.
On the downside, only software developers are available on the platform. If you need other experts to manage other aspects of your project, you’ll have to find them elsewhere.
Codementor will connect you with highly experienced and vetted freelance developers. You have the option to hire PHP developers by-the-hour or long-term.
- Risk-free escrow payment option
- Access to only verified talent
- Fast onboarding – get a freelancer within six minutes of joining the platform
- Filter freelancers with user reviews
- Only software developers are available on the platform
Ikayzo is a boutique web and mobile app development firm based in Hawaii. The team consists of various specialists, including PHP developers. Whether your company is in finance, fashion, pharmaceutical, hospitality, or another industry, you can count on Ikayzo to build you a dynamic, cross-platform website.
Since Ikayzo is a full-service company, the team can handle all aspects of your software development. You can also receive professional guidance to help you achieve your business goals efficiently.
Ikayzo develops websites and web apps with responsive designs. Besides PHP web development, you can contact the full-service agency for:
- Application design
- User experience design
- 2D/3D illustration
- Motion graphics
- Experienced team
- Full-service agency
- Willingness to work with your budget
- Limited scalability due to having a small team
- Long client waitlists
YouTeam is a popular option among companies that want to hire PHP developers outside the U.S. The platform gives users access to over 50,000 European and Latin American software engineers and developers.
Every developer on YouTeam has undergone a thorough vetting process to ensure you only talk to competent workers. Also, finding PHP developers for your project is straightforward on the platform. Just fill out a form, list your project’s details and budget, and submit. The platform will list potential freelancers who match your requirements, and you can select the most attractive ones.
YouTeam connects companies with software developers and designers for full-time or long-term projects.
- Vetted freelancers (minimum of three years of technical experience)
- Pre-interviews confirm a candidate’s suitability for your project
- One-month free trial for each selected candidate
- Long-term projects only
- YouTeam freelancers charge more than other platforms
- Slow onboarding process
Why stress yourself hunting down, sorting, and interviewing hundreds of people to hire PHP developers for your project? Do less work and get better and faster results by working with DevSquad. We have PHP developers and every other specialist you need to take your product development from ideation to launch.
Contact us today to get started with your PHP web development project.